Preparing to work with others in Recoveries Anonymous.
1. The information on this page is designed to help you prepare to begin working with others. Working with others is vital to finding recovery, and then staying recovered.
2. In order to help others, you will first need to become comfortable working with others in the same way you have been worked with. You will work with R.A. newcomers by using R.A.'s Multilith Big Book, R.A.'s RA-Steps.info website, and R.A.'s Step Presentation Workbook. You will help them to follow the pioneers' "clear-cut directions" for working the Twelve Steps.
3. We believe that the way we work with others in R.A. is the simplest, most straightforward way to go through the steps. We simply go through R.A.'s Multilith Big Book, paragraph-by-paragraph, reading, discussing, and following the pioneers "clear-cut directions."
4. Within R.A., we use R.A.'s www.RA-Steps.info website, as well as the instructions and worksheets in R.A.'s Step Presentation Workbook, to make this process even easier.
5. Going through the Twelve Steps within R.A. is a three-part process. It is based on the description in the Big Book story, "He Sold Himself Short."
a. First, we help a newcomer to "absorb as much of the program and philosophy as possible."
b. Second, following Dr. Bob's example, we formally lead them through Steps One through Eight.
c. Third, we continue the process by discussing Step Nine through Step Twelve with them.
6. Remind your newcomer that they are not going to be working with others by themselves. They will have your support, and the support of all the other people you talk to and work with.
7. More details about sponsorship in R.A. can be found in R.A.'s Sponsorship Guide, "How to Begin Working With Others." This free guide can be downloaded from our website at: www.R-A.org
a. In Recoveries Anonymous we use a system of Primary Sponsors and Secondary Sponsors.
b. The Primary Sponsor is a newcomer's main contact with our program.
c. Secondary Sponsors are additional contacts. They include the Primary Sponsor's sponsor and all the other people the Primary Sponsor is working with.
d. We further suggest that you make sure you are in contact with as many other Recoveries Anonymous members as possible.
e. This insures that you can always reach someone. You are not limited by the availability of your Primary Sponsor.
f. You can tell each newcomer that they can go through R.A.'s Step Presentation at his or her own pace
g. It is up to the newcomer to decide if they want one person, or more than one, to take them through R.A.'s Step Presentation. While working with one person might seem to be the ideal, this often is not practical in today's world.
h. In R.A., we have found that it is the message, not the messenger that is important.
Please use R.A.'s Questions and Answers Forum to ask any questions or make any comments about any of this.